Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

3 Months!!

I've been in Brazil for exactly 93 days, on the last day of my 3rd complete month here- the 31st of October. I'm at the roca with my brother and grandparents with an old notebook in my hands and I decided it was time to try and start a journal again, and to take a minute to look back at everything I have done and all the things that I have gained so far from this exchange.

3 Months - the time the time when most exchange students are supposed to have finally settled down and adjusted into their new life, family, and language. But for me, it is allready more than halfway through my experience (if I do leave in January) and I am definetely not looking forward to leaving, but I think I was able to (aproveitar) my first few months because of my quick adapting and language abilities. Now the rest of my stay fits on one page in my planner - about 76 days, and I wanted to take some time to look back at what I've done so far.

Looking back at my first blog post about 4 days into my stay, I seemed to have already absorbed so much and been able to communicate without much difficulty in the new language, and I those first feelings of pure adventure and excitement to venture out into the unknown will never be erased from my memory. I love that feeling -I can never get enough of it. I seem to absorb new things so fast, I remember (well it's written here in this notebook which I brought with me on the first day of school) wondering what I was going to write my college essay on; I didn't feel that challeneged at first- haha I guess I just didn't know what to expect.

Since I arrived here, so many things about me have changed, I changed my appearance- I have learned how to take care of my new long hair and I don't think I will ever cut it short again anytime soon- my handwriting has drastically improved, due to the fact of writing in cursive, I have become more disciplined, learned how to respect differences and deal with misunderstandings to fit into a family, how to be more clean and organized, and much much more than I think I even realize. I have learned how to eat again, how much it means to have a good friend, how to take care of myself, and how to live in the moment and make the most of what life gives you. Doing a foreign exchange means putting a lot of yourself out there to be tested and greatly challenged, but I believe that it does a person good, that it does the world good, and I don't regret making the decision to come here one bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment